What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?
At Acupuncture of Columbia, our passion is helping you rediscover the joys of a life free from chronic pain or illness. With our expert practitioners and individualized treatment plans, we’re dedicated to guiding you on your journey towards holistic healing. If you’re ready to take the first step in addressing your pain or chronic condition, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with us. Experience the transformative power of acupuncture and let us help you reclaim your health and wellbeing. Together, we can chart a course towards a pain-free, healthier life.
UNDERSTANDING Trigeminal neuraglia
Trigeminal neuralgia is a neurological disorder characterized by severe facial pain originating from the trigeminal nerve, which is responsible for transmitting sensory information from the face to the brain. It is often described as sudden, intense, and electric shock-like pain that can be triggered by everyday activities such as speaking, eating, or even gentle facial movements. Trigeminal neuralgia can significantly impact a person’s quality of life, causing debilitating pain and affecting their ability to perform daily tasks.
SYMPTOMS of trigeminal neuralgia
If you have trigeminal neuralgia, you may encounter one or more of the following symptoms:
- Sudden and severe facial pain, typically on one side of the face
- Episodes of pain lasting from a few seconds to a couple of minutes
- Pain triggered by routine activities such as eating, talking, or touching the face
- Bouts of pain that come and go, with periods of remission and recurrence
- Pain that is described as sharp, shooting, or like an electric shock
- Sensitivity to touch, heat, or cold in the affected areas of the face
ACUPUNCTURE FOR trigeminal neuralgia
Acupuncture can be a valuable adjunct therapy for managing trigeminal neuralgia and providing relief from facial pain. By targeting specific acupuncture points, it aims to reduce inflammation, calm the nervous system, and restore balance in the body. Benefits of acupuncture for trigeminal neuralgia include: