what is Fibromyalgia?
At Acupuncture of Columbia, our passion is helping you rediscover the joys of a life free from chronic pain or illness. With our expert practitioners and individualized treatment plans, we’re dedicated to guiding you on your journey towards holistic healing. If you’re ready to take the first step in addressing your pain or chronic condition, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with us. Experience the transformative power of acupuncture and let us help you reclaim your health and wellbeing. Together, we can chart a course towards a pain-free, healthier life.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic and complex disorder that affects millions of people worldwide, primarily women. It is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances, and heightened sensitivity to pressure. Fibromyalgia is considered a central nervous system disorder, in which the brain amplifies pain signals, leading to a heightened perception of pain throughout the body.
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is still not fully understood, but it is believed to involve a combination of genetic, environmental, and psychological factors. Many individuals with fibromyalgia report the onset of symptoms after a physical or emotional trauma, infection, or significant life stressor.
SYMPTOMS OF Fibromyalgia
If you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Widespread musculoskeletal pain: Pain and tenderness in multiple areas of the body, including muscles, joints, and soft tissues.
- Fatigue: Persistent fatigue and a feeling of low energy, even after adequate rest.
- Sleep disturbances: Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or non-restorative sleep.
- Cognitive difficulties: Difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and reduced mental clarity.
- Sensitivity to pressure: Increased sensitivity to physical pressure, such as touch or pressure from clothing.
- Headaches: Frequent headaches or migraines.
- Mood disturbances: Depression, anxiety, or mood swings.