What is Arthritis?
At Acupuncture of Columbia, our passion is helping you rediscover the joys of a life free from chronic pain or illness. With our expert practitioners and individualized treatment plans, we’re dedicated to guiding you on your journey towards holistic healing. If you’re ready to take the first step in addressing your pain or chronic condition, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with us. Experience the transformative power of acupuncture and let us help you reclaim your health and wellbeing. Together, we can chart a course towards a pain-free, healthier life.
Arthritis is a common condition characterized by inflammation and stiffness in one or more joints. There are several types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis, each with its own unique features and underlying causes. Arthritis can affect people of all ages and can lead to chronic pain, reduced mobility, and decreased quality of life.
Osteoarthritis, the most prevalent form of arthritis, occurs when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones wears down over time. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the joints, causing inflammation and damage. Psoriatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that often occurs in individuals with psoriasis and can cause joint pain, swelling, and skin lesions.
SYMPTOMS of arthritis
The symptoms of arthritis can vary depending on the type and severity of the condition. However, common symptoms may include:
- Joint pain and stiffness: Arthritis typically causes pain and stiffness in the affected joints, which can worsen with movement or after periods of inactivity.
- Swelling and inflammation: Inflammation in the joints can lead to swelling, redness, and warmth around the affected area.
- Limited range of motion: Arthritis can restrict the movement of the joints, making it difficult to perform everyday tasks or participate in physical activities.
- Joint deformities: Over time, arthritis can cause joint deformities, such as the formation of nodules or the misalignment of bones.
- Fatigue and general discomfort: Many individuals with arthritis experience fatigue, as well as a general feeling of malaise or discomfort.